Try Out Employment
What is it?
Try-Out Employment is subsidized employment that is for job seekers who are unemployed and have been unemployed for 27+ weeks, have been unemployed for 27 out of the last 52 weeks or have not worked for the same employer for 3+ months in the last 2 years Additionally, we look at each customer and their specific needs and barriers to help determine if Try-Out Employment is a service that is needed to help with their employment needs. Determining what traditional WIOA barriers that the customer faces helps in determining the proper service delivery. .
Who subsidizes the employee?
In Try-Out Employment, Southeast KANSASWORKS is the employer of record.
How much does the employee make?
The employee will earn no less then federal minimum wage, $7.25/hr, and up to $10/hr. We base our wages on the position they are working and start the employee $1 less than entry level wage for that employer up to the $10/hr maximum.
How many hours can the employee work?
A Try-Out Employee is limited to 32 working hours per week with a maximum of 8 weeks of training.
What type of support does the employee receive?
The Try-Out Employee will be working with a Career Advisor and will be getting intensive case management to overcome any hurdles at the job site. Additionally, Try-Out Employees will receive supportive services in the way of prepaid cards to help with transportation costs and work ready materials. Each Try-Out Employee will be required to attend two, four hour the “Bring Your A Game” trainings in order to receive soft skills training for the workplace.
How does this benefit employers?
Try-Out-Employment is a way for employers to “try out” a new employee. There is no cost to the employer and could help build an OJT candidate or possible new hire. There is no commitment from the employer to retain a Try-Out Employee after the end of the contract.
Connect and Make a Difference
We believe in the power of connection. By providing the right resources and opportunities, the Try-Out Employment program can help inexperienced workers forge a path to success.
Southeast KANSASWORKS is giving you the opportunity to be a connection that makes a difference. Research shows try-out employment is correlated with better success in the labor market. By participating in the try-out employment partnership, you gain a short-term employee while investing in individuals from your community.
Here are a few of the benefits of being a try-out employment partner:
- Skip new hire paperwork.
- Receive an employee for up to 256 hours with no commitment to hire.
- (No more than 32 hours per week)
- Southeast KANSASWORKS cover wages and workers’ compensation.
- Minimal training costs to your business.
- Option to hire worker on a permanent basis once try-out employment hours are completed.
The goals of Try-Out Employment for job seekers:
- Stabilize individuals and families with earned income
- Learn the expectations of the workplace experientially
- Address barriers to work
- Build a work history and reference
- Gain skills and experience to transition into unsubsidized employment
The core components of Try-Out Employment
- Orientation & assessment
- Job readiness/life skills coursework (Bring Your ‘A’ to Work)
- Connections to support services
- Paid work experience
- Transition to unsubsidized employment and retention
- Linkages to education and training