Filing for Unemployment Insurance Benefits
Southeast KANSAWORKS, Inc. Workforce Centers do not process Unemployment Insurance Claims, however telephones and computers are available at the Centers to help laid-off workers file a claim with the Department of Labor.
Information from the Department of Labor – The fastest way to determine your Unemployment Insurance eligibility is to use the online filing system. You may file your initial claim application online at www.GetKansasBenefits.com. If you have already filed for benefits, information about your claim is also available from the website. By using your personal password, you can obtain details about your claim status, payment dates and amounts.
Need to speak with a UI Benefits Representative? Try these tips:
- Wait times are averaging between 25 and 35 minutes to speak with a contact center representative.
- UI Representatives ask for your patience. Please understand they are doing their best to assist all callers as quickly as possible.
- Wait times are typically shorter on Wednesdays and Thursdays, but with the magnitude of calls coming into the contact center they are experiencing long wait times every day of the week.
- Wait times are typically at their highest on Monday mornings and Friday afternoons.
- Try to call in first thing in the morning at 8:00 a.m. when the contact center opens. You’ll have a better chance of getting through.
- Call center representatives can only discuss your unemployment claim with you. Please do not have a family member or friend call with questions about your claim, as they cannot give them any information.
The Kansas Unemployment Contact Center is available Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. You can reach the Contact Center by calling one of the following phone numbers:
- Kansas City – (913) 596-3500(913) 596-3500
- Topeka – (785) 575-1460(785) 575-1460
- Wichita – (316) 383-9947(316) 383-9947
- All other areas – (800) 292-6333(800) 292-6333 FREE
NOTE: When calling for assistance, you will need the PIN you created when you first applied for unemployment benefits and your Social Security Number.
If you have already been approved to receive unemployment benefits and you have questions specifically regarding your Unemployment Benefits Debit Card please visit https://prepaid.bankofamerica.com/KDOLDebitCard/ or contact BPA toll-free Customer Service number at 1-800-582-4910800.292.6333 FREE.
Financial Industry Regulatory Authority
Making Smart Financial Choices After A Job Loss – You may not be able to control if or when your company closes a plant or lays off workers, but you can take steps to manage the financial impact of those events. The FINRA has developed a brochure that contains tips on how to:
- keep your finances on the right track in the event of unemployment;
- protect yourself when getting financial advice during a period of job dislocation; and
- ask the right questions about your company’s benefit plans at any time.